334 Los Pinos Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
El Rancho de las Golondrinas is a living history museum located on 200 acres in a rural farming valley just south of Santa Fe, New Mexico. The museum, dedicated to the history, heritage and culture of 18th and 19th century New Mexico, opened in 1972. Original colonial buildings on the site date from the early 1700s. In addition, historic buildings from other parts of northern New Mexico have been reconstructed at Las Golondrinas. Villagers clothed in the styles of the times show how life was lived on the frontier in early New Mexico. Special festivals and weekend events offer visitors an in-depth look into the celebrations, music, dance and many other aspects of life in the Spanish, Mexican and Territorial periods of the Southwest.
El Rancho de las Golondrinas (The Ranch of the Swallows) was a paraje (official rest stop) on El Camino Real from Mexico City through Chihuahua to Old Santa Fe. Acquired by Miguel Vega y Coca about 1710, it is one of the most historic ranches in the southwest. The daughters of Vega y Coca intermarried with the Baca family and the property subsequently passed to their descendants.
In the diaries and reports of yesteryear, "el paraje de las Golondrinas" is often mentioned. It became the last encampment before reaching Santa Fe, the end of the long journey on horseback or by carretas from far away Mexico City. Juan Bautista de Anza, Governor of New Mexico in 1778, searching for a direct route to Arizpe, Sonora, Mexico, spent the night here with a one hundred fifty-one man military expedition.
El Rancho de las Golondrinas grew out of the vision of the Curtin-Paloheimo family, who acquired the property in the early 1930s. Existing historic buildings were restored, authentic structures erected on old foundations and related buildings brought in from other New Mexican sites. Now, an 18th century placita house complete with defensive tower, a 19th century home and all of its outbuildings, a molasses mill, a threshing ground, several primitive water mills, a blacksmith shop, a wheelwright shop, a winery and vineyard depict many of the essential elements of early New Mexico. The Sierra Village portrays life as it was lived in the mountainous regions of New Mexico. A morada (Penitente meeting house), descansos , a Campo Santo and an Oratorio testify to the deep religious faith that sustained the early settlers.
Through living history, El Rancho de las Golondrinas hopes to foster understanding of, respect for and pride in the language, culture, arts and history of Spanish Colonial, Mexican and Territorial New Mexico. Particular emphasis is placed on its use as an educational facility. It welcomes teachers and students for tours, workshops, seminars and other learning experiences. The museum is now owned and operated by the El Rancho de las Golondrinas, Inc. a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Donations to Las Golondrinas are tax deductible to the extent allowed by the law. We are a member of the Association for Living Historical Farms and Agricultural Museums (ALHFAM).
Sotheby's International Realty ® Santa Fe, New Mexico
Your Source for Santa Fe Real Estate
© 2023 Sotheby’s International Realty. All Rights Reserved. Sotheby’s International Realty® is a registered trademark and used with permission. Each Sotheby’s International Realty office is independently owned and operated, except those operated by Sotheby’s International Realty, Inc. All offerings are subject to errors, omissions, changes including price or withdrawal without notice. Equal Housing Opportunity. SothebysRealty.com
Design By SantaFeWebDesign.com